In a nutshell: Jon Peddie Research (JPR) has revealed the most recent replace on the state of the GPU market, and it’s excellent news for AMD. In the fourth quarter of final yr, Team Red noticed its shipments improve 22.6 p.c from the earlier quarter. Nvidia, in the meantime, skilled a 1.9 p.c decline.
We’ve seen AMD stealing market share away from Intel within the CPU phase because the arrival of its Ryzen processors, and it’s repeating the feat within the GPU market towards Nvidia—regardless of experiences of players ditching Radeon graphics playing cards over driver points.
Overall, GPU shipments have been up 3.four p.c from Q3, with AMD shipments growing by 22.6 p.c, Nvidia down by -1.9%, and Intel up barely, by 0.2%.
A complete of 93 million GPUs have been shipped in This autumn 2019. That’s down 1 million YoY, nevertheless it’s nonetheless the third quarter in a row the place shipments have elevated.
The report states that on the subject of discreet GPU shipments fairly than general traits, AMD’s market share has elevated Three p.c QoQ to 27 p.c, that’s nonetheless a good distance off Nvidia, which dominates with 73 p.c.
“This is the third consecutive quarter of increased GPU shipments, However, Q1 which is seasonally flat to down may show an unusual dip because of supply chain interruptions from China due to the Coronavirus epidemic,” stated Jon Peddie, President of JPR. “2020 is going to be a game-changer with Intel’s entry into the discrete GPU market and a possible fourth entry by an IP company.”
JPR’s report highlights embrace:
- The general connect charge of GPUs (contains built-in and discrete GPUs) to PCs for the quarter was 130 p.c which was up 1.eight p.c from final quarter
- Discrete GPUs have been in 31.9 p.c of PCs, which is down -0.19 p.c from final quarter
- The general PC market elevated by 1.99 p.c quarter-to-quarter and elevated by 3.54 p.c year-to-year
- Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs) that use discrete GPUs elevated 12.17 p.c from final quarter
- This autumn’19 noticed a rise in pill shipments from final quarter
It’ll be fascinating to see how far more market share AMD can claw away from Nvidia and Intel this yr, particularly as all three corporations are anticipated to launch graphics playing cards in 2020.