If while you try to create a restoration drive utilizing a USB drive in your Windows 10 laptop however obtain the error message; We can’t create the restoration drive on this PC, then this submit is meant that can assist you. In this submit, we’ll establish the doable causes, in addition to present appropriate options which you could attempt to assist remediate this difficulty.
When you encounter this difficulty, you’ll obtain the next full error message;
We can’t create a restoration drive on this PC
Some required recordsdata are lacking. To troubleshoot issues when your PC can’t begin, use your Windows set up disc or media.
You may encounter the difficulty because of a number of (however not restricted to) of the next recognized causes;
- The restoration partition info is misplaced: This is thought to occur if the person has beforehand tried to clone the system on one other drive.
- The winre.wim file is lacking from the pc: This file is answerable for holding the Windows restoration recordsdata. Without it, making a restoration drive is not doable.
- Your present system assemble doesn’t have a restoration surroundings: This is thought to happen if the person has upgraded to Windows 10 from an older Windows model.
We can’t create a restoration drive on this PC
If you’re confronted with this drawback, you possibly can strive our advisable options within the order introduced under and see if that helps to resolve the difficulty.
- Recreate the restoration surroundings through Command Prompt
- Recover the winre.wim file
- Regain the misplaced restoration partition info
- Clone your laptop and reserve it to a USB HDD
- Perform a Fresh Start, In-place improve restore or Cloud Reset
Let’s check out the outline of the method concerned regarding every of the listed options.
1] Recreate the restoration surroundings through Command Prompt
This resolution entails you restore the restoration surroundings by working a few instructions in Command Prompt.
Do the next:
- Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog field, kind cmd after which press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to open Command Prompt in admin/elevated mode.
- In the command immediate window, kind or copy and paste the command under in that order and hit Enter after every line.
reagentc /setreimage /path ?GLOBALROOTdeviceharddisk0partition1RecoveryWindowsRE
After you need to have executed all instructions, restart your PC and attempt to use the Recovery Drive Creator on the subsequent startup.
If the difficulty persists, strive the subsequent resolution.
2] Recover the winre.wim file
If a person runs a deep cleanup scan with a number of third social gathering instruments or after the person tries to clone the system on one other drive, it’s doubtless the winre.wim file will get misplaced. In this case, there are two completely different choices which you could observe to get well the lacking file. They are as follows:
i) Copy the winre.wim file from a special Windows 10 system
This possibility requires you’ve entry to a special Windows 10 system that has a wholesome winre.wim file.
Do the next:
- On one other fully-functional Windows 10 laptop, open command immediate in elevated mode.
- In the command immediate home windows, kind the command under and hit Enter o disable the Recovery Environment and make the winre.wim file from accessible from the hidden restoration to C:windowssystem32restoration.
- Next, navigate to the listing under.
- At the situation, copy the winre.wim file from that folder to a USB storage drive.
- Next, in the identical elevated CMD immediate, kind the command under and hit Enter to re-enable the Windows Recovery Environment once more.
- Now, transfer to the affected machine and plug within the USB drive containing the winre.wim file. Then, copy it and paste it within the listing under.
With the winre.wim file restored, try to create a brand new restoration drive, and see if the We can’t create the restoration drive on this PC difficulty persists.
ii) Copy the winre.wim file from Windows 10 set up media
This possibility entails that, to retrieve the winre.wim, insert the Windows 8.1/10 set up media of your lively OS and mount the set up.wim. You will be capable of copy the winre.wim file from there after which paste it contained in the C:windowssystem32restoration.
Do the next:
Insert the DVD/USB or mount the Windows set up media.
Next, navigate to your OS drive (C:) and create an empty listing referred to as Mount.
Next, open an elevated command immediate.
In the elevated Command Prompt, kind or copy and paste the command under and hit Enter to mount the set up.wim file and make the winre.wim file seen inside the brand new listing that you simply beforehand created.
dism /Mount-wim /wimfile:D:sourcesinstall.wim /index:1 /mountdir:C:mount /readonly
Note: Your set up media is likely to be on a special drive. In which case, change the drive letter accordingly.
Now, in File Explorer, navigate to C:mountwindowssystem32restoration and duplicate the winre.wim file from there after which, paste it in C:windowssystem32restoration.
Next, return to the elevated CMD immediate and run the command under to unmount the set up.wim. Once that is completed, you possibly can safely take away the set up media
dism /Unmount-Wim /Mountdir:C:mount /discard
Last however not the least, run the next command in the identical elevated CMD immediate to allow the Recovery Environment:
Restart your PC and see should you can create a brand new restoration media. Else, proceed with the subsequent resolution.
3] Regain the misplaced restoration partition info
In this resolution, should you’re optimistic that your exhausting drive incorporates a restoration partition, you possibly can observe the instruction under to get well the misplaced restoration partition info to resolve the difficulty.
- Next, kind the command under and hit Enter.
If you’ve any quantity containing the phrase Recovery within the output, you’re doubtless your restoration partition. If so, be aware of its quantity quantity.
- Next, kind the command under and hit Enter. Where X is the Recovery quantity quantity.
choose quantity X
- Next, kind the command under and hit Enter once more to see on which disk it’s positioned. Once you see it, be aware of the disk quantity.
- Next, kind the command under and hit Enter to pick out the Recovery quantity.
choose disk X
- Next, kind the command under and hit Enter to record all partitions and examine them. You ought to be capable of spot a partition that matches the dimensions of the restoration partition quantity. It ought to have an * subsequent to it. Take be aware of the partition quantity.
You can now shut the disk partition software by typing exit and hit Enter.
After you exit the DiskPart software, enter the next command and ensure to exchange the X and Y placeholders with the disk quantity and the partition quantity respectively as obtained above.
reagentc /setreimage /path ?GLOBALROOTdeviceharddiskXpartitionYRecoveryWindowsRE
- Last however not the least, kind the command under to activate the restoration partition.
- Restart your PC and see should you’re capable of create the restoration drive on the subsequent startup.
If this resolution was not profitable otherwise you don’t have a restoration surroundings configured in your machine, you possibly can strive the subsequent resolution.
4] Clone your laptop and reserve it to a USB HDD
This resolution requires you to make use of a third-party restoration resolution to create the equal of a Windows-created restoration drive.
5] Perform a Fresh Start, In-place improve restore or Cloud Reset
At this level, if the difficulty continues to be unresolved, it’s almost certainly because of some type of system corruption that can’t be resolved conventionally. In this case, you possibly can strive Fresh Start, In-place improve restore to reset each Windows part. Also, should you’re working Windows 10 model 1909 and later, you possibly can strive Cloud Reset and see if that helps.
Any of those options ought to give you the results you want!
Related submit: How to make use of Recovery Drive to revive Windows 10 laptop.