Mozilla has merely launched Firefox 80 for all supported desktop platforms, along with Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Just as anticipated since this generally is a essential launch of the browser, there are a variety of important changes which is perhaps worth highlighting, in addition to important security fixes that make it a extremely useful substitute.
First and foremost, there’s the model new attribute that everybody was prepared for: beginning with Firefox 80, you could configure the browser as a result of the default PDF viewer on the system.
As many Windows prospects know already, Microsoft itself has put quite a lot of effort into turning the legacy mannequin of Microsoft Edge proper right into a fully-featured PDF app. And now that the company has migrated to the Chromium engine, comparable efforts are directed to the model new browser, which is slowly nevertheless definitely becoming a classy PDF software program too.
Mozilla doesn’t want to be unnoticed of the pleasant, so it updated Firefox to double as a PDF viewer too. In totally different phrases, beginning with Firefox 80, the browser may be configured as a default PDF viewer on the system, which means that every single PDF doc would merely open in Firefox.
At the an identical time, this new launch introduces a necessary accessibility substitute. Mozilla explains:
“The name reported by accessibility tools for items in multi-tiered tree controls no longer incorrectly includes information from items at deeper levels, providing users with the correct level of content when using a screen reader.”
There are at the very least ten fully totally different security patches which is perhaps included in Firefox 80, as a result of it follows:
- CVE-2020-15663: Downgrade assault on the Mozilla Maintenance Service might have resulted in escalation of privilege (extreme severity rating)
- CVE-2020-15664: Attacker-induced instant for extension arrange (extreme severity rating)
- CVE-2020-15670: Memory safety bugs mounted in Firefox 80 and Firefox ESR 78.2 (extreme severity rating)
- CVE-2020-12401: Timing-attack on ECDSA signature know-how (common severity rating)
- CVE-2020-6829: P-384 and P-521 prone to an electro-magnetic side channel assault on signature know-how (common severity rating)
- CVE-2020-12400: P-384 and P-521 prone to a side channel assault on modular inversion (common severity rating)
- CVE-2020-15665: Address bar not reset when choosing to stay on an internet web page after the beforeunload dialog is confirmed (common severity rating)
- CVE-2020-15666: MediaError message property leaks cross-origin response standing (low severity rating)
- CVE-2020-15667: Heap overflow when processing an substitute file (low severity rating)
- CVE-2020-15668: Data Race when finding out certificates information (low severity rating)
In addition, Firefox 80 comes with numerous fixes, along with for crashes expert when using a show display screen reader. What’s further, Mozilla says it has improved the Firefox Developer Tools to allow show display screen readers to entry further information that had been beforehand distinctive to the desktop.
The browser moreover introduces two important changes on all platforms.
First and foremost, it’s the model new add-ons blocklist, which now comes enabled by default in Firefox 80, and which primarily based on Mozilla itself, ought to reinforce every the effectivity and scalability.
And then, it’s a tweak for the number of animations that run throughout the browser for patrons with lowered motion settings. So beginning with Firefox 80, the tab loading animations have between updated too with the intention to chop again motions for patrons who might endure migraines and epilepsy.
Mozilla may also be asserting changes for ESR prospects.
“Today’s release is the final scheduled for Firefox 68 ESR (68.12) unless there is a critical security issue found prior to the release of Firefox ESR 78.3 on September 22, 2020. Users of Firefox 68 ESR will be automatically upgraded to the Firefox 78 ESR series with the release of 78.3,” the company says.
As typical, the model new mannequin of Firefox is shipped through the built-in browser substitute system, nevertheless it may be downloaded manually using the hyperlink on this text.